Synaptic gave me at least 15 minutes of pure unmitigated frustration this afternoon when it started choking with this piece of gibberish:
407 Proxy Authentication Required
I’d already configured my proxy settings in apt.conf and my bashrc file, and had assigned the right values to the http_proxy and ftp_proxy variables, not to mention the fact that synaptic had been working okay earlier in the day with no problems so this came as a surprise. Just to make pin-point the problem, I dropped into the terminal and did a sudo apt-get update… worked fine. Tried installing something with apt-get… worked. Tried downloading something with wget… worked fine. Yet synaptic would still not work.
In the end, I tracked down the problem to gksu. When I launched synaptic like so
The problem just disappears and synaptic works… weird. So I used the Alacarte menu editor (right-click on the menu icon and select ‘Edit Menus’) to change the entry for synaptic package manager from
I don’t know what caused this problem and I probably should file a bug report somewhere…