Posted by: Odzangba | May 9, 2010

Amarok1.4: Fix Lot’s Of Stale & Orpahned Tracks On Ipod Shuffle

Three days ago, my ipod shuffle started acting weird. Newly synced files would not show up, scanning for stale and orphaned tracks turned up lots of hits. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry at the time so I deleted the iPod_Control folder on the shuffle and asked Amarok to re-initialize it. That only made things worse – nothing would play after that. The shuffle’s indicator lights showed there were no tracks on the device. I finally got some free time this afternoon and tracked down the problem.

First, I synced some songs with iTunes in my Windows XP VM and the shuffle worked just fine so I concluded that it was a problem with how Amarok was touching the shuffle’s database. A little googling and I found out libgpod (the library that teaches Amarok how to talk to ipods) was to blame. I’d done an update earlier in the week that must have introduced some regressions so I downgraded libgpod from 0.7.93-0ubuntu1 to 0.7.2-1ubuntu1 and problem solved.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: